Saturday, November 04, 2006

Culture/Language Acquisition PRACTICUM

"CLA" is short for Culture/Language Acquisition which is the process of learning a new culture and language through building relationships with those who are within the culture and language that I'm learning. For me, the culture and language I will be learning for the next 6 weeks is Naso. Naso is a tribe located in Panama (see below for a map of Panama and Panama's flag). Since I obviously can't fly to Panama to learn Naso for 6 weeks; my language helpers will be Simon and Lavonne Challinor, who are the missionaries who have lived among the Naso people for the last 10 years. So for the next 6 weeks I will be using certain techniques that I have learned in class and building relationships with my language helpers to acquire the Naso culture and language. The purpose of this practicum is to practice what I have learned in class so that I will know how to go about learning a new culture and language when I go overseas.
*Thank you for your prayers during this time:-).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Briell-I will be praying for you. What an interesting 6 weeks you are going to have. The amazing process of language and how God has given each tribe the ability to make their own language, I think of God walking and talking with Adam and Eve...what language were they speaking? Just a thought. love you. RKD

Anonymous said...

Hello sweet niece! I finally figured out how to get on your blog again with something called an advanced search. This computer will be the end of me. God bless you as you learn the impossible in my eyes, but we know with God all things are possible. We too will continue praying for you. Love you! Your Duluth connection. Lori

ml said...

HI Briell!! It's always good to read your news! It warms my heart to even think of you and what you are doing! I always pray for your health, safety, wisdom, contentment and peace from the Lord. Love from your "favorite" aunt in KC.. mary lou